Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Volunteering

Do you volunteer much? Donate to charity? I try when I can, but I'd really like to make more of an effort to make volunteering a normal part of my life. My mom is working through a Bible study just now that talks about giving to those in need. She was telling me what the Bible says about giving to the poor, and that it's part of showing your obedience and love to God. She said that they have never purposely put aside money that would be given to a charity, but that now she'd like to start doing that. It got me thinking.

Steve and I give to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital each year that my friend Randi runs in their marathon, but I'd like to do more. Recently I went to the Children's Hospital here and volunteered with the Archie foundation. I'd like to do that more. I'd like to go help out at the Seafarer's Centre at the harbour in Aberdeen again as they prepare Christmas gifts for the seafarers. My friend Tekara said that she and her husband volunteered in the kitchen at Star of Hope in Houston, Texas every 2 weeks. It got me thinking, "I can do that... make volunteering a regular part of my life." We could even set aside a piggy bank that once full, we donate to a charity, and continue to do so each time it is full.

Wrapping gifts for seafarers last year.
What do you do, or what are you feeling inspired to do? :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!