Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Passion and Commitment

Well, last week marked the next step in my Kung Fu training. I've started sparring. That means I am now going 4 times a week. One thing I have learned being dedicated to something like this is that when they say it's a lifetime commitment, it really is. Training four times a week is a large time commitment. I also practice at home. I often turn down invitations to do things with friends because of Kung Fu training. Our (Steve and I) weekends have changed drastically since we started Kung Fu. We no longer stay out late on Friday nights because we have training Saturday morning that lasts 2 hours. The people I train with are becoming more and more like a family to me, which is really nice to have when your family lives an ocean away from you. That's to be expected though when you spend 4 days a week with essentially the same people who are passionate about the same thing. I know I'm going on and on about something you may not fully understand, but it's been really good for me. I have more energy. I feel better in general. Little things don't bother me as much as they used to.  My nightmares have even changed! How interesting, right? I've always had nightmares, but now instead of always being helpless and running, I'm fighting back and not afraid. Martial arts has induced a really good physical and mental change in me.

Anyway, I really enjoy sparring. Martial arts was never something I thought I'd be able to do since I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bones), but my Sifu and other instructors are very aware of my condition and very adaptable with my training.

This is the form I am currently learning:

Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen
"Subduing the tiger in an 'I' pattern." This form teaches the basic stances and techniques of the five animals and the five elements. It develops stamina, endurance, flexibility and sets the foundation of the Hung Ga style. It is traditionally the first form taught in Hung Ga.

Lineage
Here is a link to the lineage of Yee's Hung Ga. It's such an interesting form with an interesting history.

Here is a little about the Great Grandmaster Wong Fei Hung:

"WONG FEI HUNG is a charismatic figure who has been portrayed in over 100 movies, played be such greats as Kwan Tak Hing (who just recently passed away at the age of 92 – 1 year has been officially added due to his many humanitarian accomplishments) and Jet Li.

The real Wong Fei Hung was born in 1850 in Guangdung, Lam Hoi Province, Sai Chu County, Luk Huern Yan villiage, China. His father was Wong Kei Ying, a student and disciple of southern Siu Lum Master Luk Ah Choi.

Wong Kei Ying was also one of the earlier 10 Canton Tigers of the late Ching Dynasty while Wong Fei Hung was one of the later Tigers. It is important to note here that both Wong Kei Ying and Wong Fei Hung were inducted into the “Ten Tigers” while they were still in their early twenties.
The other 8 Tigers were all at an advanced age and of a higher kung fu generation. We must also note that the positions of the “tigers” was chosen according to Chinese tradition. The oldest or most senior holds the highest position i.e…#1, #2, #3 etc.

This placement was given out of respect and had nothing to do with level of skill. It was also apparent that the induction showed the great respect and had honored the Wong’s in that their skills were compared with the Sifu’s of a higher generation."

**********************************************************

I guess you can tell that I really enjoy it. Here are couple of video's of my Sigung (my Master's teacher), Sifu Pedro Yee.



What are you passionate about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!