Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Some of my favorite things

People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk.
- Ayn Rand -


What should I cook? That is my favorite question, and a cookbook is one of my favorite roads to an answer. Oh man, I love cooking. I told Steve tonight that one of my favorite things about moving to Scotland has been my extra time to cook. Of course, when I cook my kitchen looks like a disaster zone. Is that normal?



Tonight I made Hunter's chicken with clapshot and spiced greens. Hunter's chicken is basically chicken breast simmered in a mixture of red wine, garlic, rosemary, and sauteed onions with mushrooms added at the end. Clapshot is like mashed potatoes but with turnips, nutmeg, and parsley mixed with it. Man, it was lovely. Steve said it was definitely one I'd have to make again.

Another thing I've enjoyed is the extra time I have to devote to Kung Fu (which is essentially my health) and to my dogs. With Steve and I both working and commuting in Houston and with my job involving travel quite often, our dogs got the short end of the stick. I always felt so bad for them. Now we go on walks often or for a run. We take them on vacations with us and on hikes. I think it's been better for them too, even though the trip over was a bit stressful.

I also love that I can walk just about anywhere that I need. Even in the rain, I get out. Today I walked to the pet store and to the butcher in the pouring rain. You just do it. 

I like that things are so personal here. For example, I went to the pet store, and she was out of the food that I needed. She asked how much I had left and told me that she'd order more tomorrow so that I could have it by Thursday. Also, I asked the butcher where I could get rabbit meat. He told me that he'd probably have some this weekend. I wanted venison for stew as well. He told me to just call him on Friday to set up what I wanted, and he'd have it ready for me.  I love that they remember me each time I come into the store and greet me in such a friendly manner.

I like that I can sit down and watch some of my favorite shows, such as Bleach, or read good long books such as the Lord of the Rings, without feeling guilty that I should be cleaning, exercising, or walking the dogs in my 3.5 hours that I used to have between getting home from work after an 1.5 hour drive and the time I needed to go to bed.





Most of all, I like that I have more time to spend with Steve. I'm here when he wakes up and here when he comes home (most of the time). I love that I can walk to meet him at his office and then walk home with him. I enjoy not being too tired to get up on the weekends and make us breakfast. :o)  This experience has opened so many doors for us both. I feel so blessed, and I can't wait to share it with you all as you come to visit!

1 comment:

I am happy to hear from you!