Thursday, January 24, 2013

Some limits are meant to be exceeded

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”
- Bruce Lee -


Wow! Today was a very busy day for me. It started this morning with stretching, cooking breakfast, running to jump in the shower while my eggs were boiling, dress quickly, eat breakfast, drive to ATM, then drive to Transition Extreme Sports Ltd. for a lesson in climbing rock walls! Ever had one of those multi-tasking morning? hehe.

Climbing was both fun and terrifying. We had to learn climbing and belaying techniques. Belaying is the rope holding part. It made me much more nervous to climb knowing that the person supporting me with the rope was also just learning that! Since I have brittle bones, I tend to fear falling probably more than the average person. I did it though. We got to climb three walls. My only real complaint is that it was FREEZING in there. Seriously, temperatures were probably not above the upper 40s. I had to touch each of my toes to confirm the presence of them all. 

I'd like to title the next set of pictures: Hey Mom, look what I can do!

Learning on the easy wall

Sometimes we had to just wait while the person learning to belay caught up with tightening the rope.

Moving up in difficulty. This one was fun!

I learned to belay too. See me at the bottom in gray? :o)
After climbing, I rushed home to swap my tennis shoes for snow boots and grab my Bible. I did some serious aerobic walking and then just decided to run to the Bible study since it started at 12:30... which was the time I got home from climbing. I have really enjoyed this Bible study, and today I felt that God was speaking directly to me.... like I was the only person in the room who could hear. The women in the group are so nice and supportive. This is one of the best decisions I've ever made. You were right, Aunt Lisa.

After the Bible study, I went home for some food and a nap! I was tired and still had more physical activity in my future. I had Kung Fu tonight! Tonight was the night we had the strictest teacher, and if you read the blog about Kung Fu, you know what I'm about to write. Yep. Somebody moved, and yes, I got to do more push-ups. Then, guess what!! Oh you got it, they moved when they weren't supposed to move. You don't punch until the count. If he stops counting, you stop. Oh man, so many people messed that up. I admit, I am guilty of doing that sometimes too so I'm not judging, but tonight I was actually doing really well, and I really didn't want extra work since I had done all that climbing this morning! We had to do a 2-minute horse stance (squat) for that mistake. My knees were shaking so much that it looked like I was trying to do that MC Hammer move in place instead of moving side to side. I kept my stance though, and I worked out  replaced all that soreness from climbing. In all fairness, the teacher was supportive. He kept saying, "Don't worry if you are shaking. It's okay, and it will keep you warm!"  haha.  Why do I do it? I know what you are thinking. I do it because I love Kung Fu. I love the principles, the energy, the way I feel when I'm practicing and even when I'm not. I enjoy that it pushes me to achieve what I thought I never could. Touché Bruce Lee. Touché.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!