Monday, December 24, 2012

Natural solutions for migraines, Cullen Skink, and Christmas via Skype

Last night I tried a new recipe. I made Cullen Skink. Cullen is a fishing port in Scotland, and "skink" means "essence" or "soup". So, it's a potato and fish soup. Pretty good, although next time I think I will add more water for the fish broth and peel and also cut the potatoes a bit smaller so that it's creamier.
I learned tonight that this is called a "bouquet garni" and can be made with many herbs, but it is usually thyme, parsley, and bay leaves. Hmf. Learn something new every day.

Cooking the potatoes in fish broth. Haddock is cooling off to the side.

Cullen Skink! Yum!


Yesterday was pretty uneventful because I was still not feeling that great. We finally were able to sit down and order Christmas presents for family. With all the illness and the stolen credit card, that was delayed for a while. The most eventful thing that happened was our fence blowing down! The winds were so strong that it just destroyed it! I woke up to something that sounded like the garbage truck dumping a trash can. I remember thinking, "That's weird. They shouldn't be coming on a Saturday. Did I miss something?" I was too tired and my head was hurting too bad to overcome my curiosity. I went back to sleep, but when I let the dogs out later, I found out that it was NOT the garbage truck that I heard.



Today it stopped raining for a little while so Steve and I took advantage of the break and took the dogs walking. It was so nice to get out of the house. My headaches started again, but this time I decided against the Ibuprofen. I read that migraines can be caused by fluorescent lights and also by deficiencies in vitamins D and B. I tried to use only light from our windows today, and I took a B-Complex and a vitamin D supplement. I receive some vitamin D from my calcium supplements, but I decided that since I've been sick and the sun hasn't been out in over 2 weeks, I could add some more. After that, some pressure point therapy (push out the cheek bones from inside the mouth, and then, push on the roof of he mouth), and a 30 minute nap, I was right again. Natural solutions saved the day!

When I woke up from my nap, I got to see the Christmas carolers! So fun! I heard the smooth, slow singing in my sleep. I awoke and thought, "They're here!" I pulled on my trousers, and the doorbell rang as I was running down the stairs. I ran into the living room where I found Steve looking for his keys. "Hurry! It's the carolers!"

He said, "Do you have money to donate?"

"Yes! Just go open the door before they leave!"

He kept fumbling through his keys as the doorbell rang a second time. Anxiously I yelled, "Steve! Quick, they are going to move on, and I want to hear them sing!"

We opened the door and found a small, chubby-cheeked boy with a plastic bucket. "Umm. We are singing to raise money for the Children's Trust." Could they have picked a cuter salesman?

Their singing made me want to cry. It was beautiful.

Later I put on my Christmas t-shirt and got ready for Christmas at Grandma's. No, I didn't get to go, but I got the next best thing. Here's the deal: I've been very blessed with such a great family. My Dad's side passed around the telephone during their Christmas party so that I could talk to everybody. I got to hear them yelling "Merry Christmas" and having a wonderful time. It was great! My Mom's side Skyped me into Christmas. My mom took her iPad, and when that was a bit slow, my sister used her iPhone to Skype me in. I got to talk with everybody and watch them open presents! We even had my mom hold the iPad with Steve and I on it to take a family picture. hehe. We thought it would be funny. :o)  I'll post it when they send it to me. I am very blessed to have such a great family that tries to include us even when we are an ocean apart. I love you guys!

Steve and the dogs sat in the background watching too. My Grandad said, "Is that all you do? Play with the dogs?"

"Yeah. It's what I get paid to do. It's why I'm here."

Silly boys.

I know the picture is a bit blurry, but it was the best one! Aren't they adorable?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!